Andrew and Donna's Road to the World Cup

Sunday, June 11, 2006

June 11, 2006 - Lazy Sunday in Milano

Our last day in Italy was pretty low key. Donna has been battling a cold so she opted to stay in the hotel while I did a little exploring. I made three stops and called it a day. First, Bonny asked us to take a picture of the Ralph Lauren store in Milan.



Donna gave me great directions so I knocked that task out in about 30 minutes. I expected better from Ralph – Bonny, could you send him an email?

Second, I headed to the San Siro which is also known as the Giuseppe Meazza Stadium.

It is home to my favorite non-US soccer team, AC Milan. They are one of the richest and most famous clubs in the world. The stadium also is home to Inter Milan, another well known side though not as storied as AC Milan. I took a tour of the stadium and got a picture sitting in Paolo Madlini’s changing room seat.

Maldini is to Italian football what Mickey Mantle is to baseball. He is a lifelong Rossoneri (that is the nickname for AC Milan players) and a worldwide legend.

I headed back to the hotel, but made a pit stop at a pub to catch the end of the Holland/Serbia & Montenegro match. I have been hugely surprised at the seeming lack of interest in the World Cup in Milan. London was World Cup crazed. Maybe things will change when Italy play tomorrow. We will be gone, however, in Germany at the World Cup!!! Woohoo!

Tonight Donna and I went out for gelato and then to a pub to watch the Mexico/Iran match.

So far CONCACAF (the Spanish acronym for the North & Central American Football Federation) teams have shown well; we’re counting on our boys to do the same.

Thanks for checking in. We’ll write again after we’ve watched our first World Cup Match.

Andrew 4:20 PM

5 Comments:

I forgot about the time difference- Mexico/Iran was a noon game here. At least it's not in Korea again. I discovered that even though network tv is lame and plays one game per round per group, UNIVISION plays more. So I just miss all the commentating.
Italy sounds wonderful. Sea urchin? Really, what did you expect? Ick. Sorry to hear it was such a bust. I *did* like the taste of the eel, just couldn't digest the thought of the eel.
Be careful travelling-- the W. Post said that travel in Germany will be crazy, and that pickpockets are your biggest risk. Wear that fanny pack with pride!
Lazy Sunday in E-burg.
What is this "World Cup" we keep reading about? Does it have anything to do with those gigantic jugs...we mean mugs of beer? A better question: why haven't you mentioned the heart stopping action of the AFL ArenaBowl? Bill and I are surprised that the AFL craze that has taken over Eldersburg, MD, USA, hasn't caught on in Europe. Let's cheer for Rattlers. I prefer the Predators. That's a good one, too. Chicago Rush is the best. True that! Double True!
We (Jeff & Katie Weaver, Rick Welch and I) watched the game today and thought of you, but we mostly cursed the US Team's midfield....c'mon let's move forward when were down two goals already!

Still I'd rather be watching a miserable game where you are than at Meehan's in Alpharetta!
jeffrey.jones@us.benfieldgroup.com
Hi guys! I have been having so much fun reading about your 'blogworthy' adventures. Is Donna actually pooping gellato at this point? hee hee... Better than the bread and cheese and yard clippings we survived on in London! I'll keep logging in...talk to you soon! :-) Jaime
Hello to the both of you. I've missed your company the past few days. Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye really. Hopefully things are going well. Thanks for the RL picture in Milan. I got to see the store in Athens, which was a lot worse. Talk to you soon.

Add a comment